Virtual Events Support Team
Virtual Event Support Team (VEST) is a dedicated global group of volunteers who are committed to improving the safety and wellbeing of the greater Burning Man virtual community. We are a known source for accurate information about the event, and are often the first stop for someone new to Burning Man culture. We offer non-judgemental compassionate emotional support and peer mediation to anyone in need. We are here to provide a safer space for people to grieve, emote, remember and celebrate Black Rock City, Burning Man culture and the expansion into the Virtual Burn Experiences.
What is vPlaya Info?
Playa Info’s main focus is the participant’s experience.
We ensure that those who attend Virtual Burning Man events have an enjoyable, enriching and fulfilling time. This is achieved by providing information and services to participants including event orientation, recommendations, acculturation, user tech support and updated event schedules.
Knowledgeable volunteers enhance the participants’ experience by being present inside the Virtual Burn Experiences, live in a Zoom room, and monitoring chat channels.
Whatever questions may come up we endeavor to work with the participants to find answers and solutions within the context of the 10 Principles and through a continuously updated database of events and FAQ lists.
Additionally vPlaya Info will be reachable for the Burning Man curious outside of the Virtual Burn Week event.
vPlaya Info cooperates closely with the VEST Rangers and can reach them immediately if necessary.
How can I reach vPlaya Info?
Typically a Playa Info Zoom Room is set up as well as a live, direct, Text Chat Channel. Links to vPlaya Info will be located in all worlds and event venues during the Virtual Burn Week.
At some events the Zoom Room is the home base for all support services. In this single Zoom room, Playa Info provides a “front desk” function providing participants with an immediate “customer service” experience. Dedicated break out rooms for 1:1 conversations are available.
Come out and volunteer! We still have shifts for people with all levels of experience. If you want to volunteer, sign up here: https://forms.gle/b2rtEqGQ4rqGbhgf7
Who are the VEST Rangers? And what do they do?
VEST Rangers are traditional guardians of the shared values of the Burner community, and help to acculturate newcomers to Virtual Burn Experiences. They respond to the ever-changing environment and may address situations within their community which might otherwise require outside intervention.
VEST Rangers may:
Provide Direct Assistance
- Listen to someone who is upset or grieving
- Call services to support psychic aid and stay until they arrive
- Request services for expressions of harm, violence, abuse, psychic pain or emergency
- Answer questions about Burning Man and Virtual Burn Experiences
- Direct a participant to a Virtual Burn Experience Host/Community Manager
- Explain about a Virtual Burn Experience’s Community Standards, Code of Conduct (including harassment or bullying), or Maturity Policy to a participant
- Educate participants about how to deal with individuals or objects that they find offensive or disruptive
Mediate and De-escalate
- Mediate a dispute between participants and camps
- Mediate a dispute between a Virtual Burn Experience Community Manager and a participant
- Maintain a presence and forge connections
- Sit and talk with people in a Virtual Burn Experience
- Be present – not interfering – while a Community Manager does their job
VEST Rangers do NOT:
- Act as a cop, security force or hall monitor
- Actively patrol looking for violations or violators
- Act as a Community Moderator
- Battle trolls or platform hackers/griefers
- Enforce Virtual Burn Experience guidelines, rules, Terms of Service or Community Standards through “Kicks” (temporary restriction on access to an event space) or “Bans” (permanent ban from a world for the rest of the event)
How do I reach the VEST Rangers?
VEST Rangers are accessible directly from anywhere in a Virtual Burn Experience, this may be a button or option in a drop down menu or this will be an actual VEST Ranger HQ within a Virtual Burn Experience. During Virtual Burn 2021 you can also contact VEST Rangers in video or text chat at https://multiverserangers.org/contact_a_ranger/
Need to contact VEST Rangers Now? Please email us at: (email@example.com). Response is within 24hours.
Are you a Black Rock or Regional Ranger in good standing? Come out and volunteer! We provide orientation and training. Sign up here: https://forms.gle/b2rtEqGQ4rqGbhgf7
Who are the Temple Guardians?
Temple Guardians hold the space of the Temple, maintaining an environment that allows equal access for everyone to have the experience and expression that they need. They keep the space, as well as the participants who visit it, safe.
How can I reach a Temple Guardian
During Virtual Burn 2021Temple Guardians will be present in BRCvr in the Temple world and at the Temple location on the virtual playa. Participants anywhere in the Virtual Burn Experiences, during Virtual Burn 2021, can connect with a Temple Guardian by video, voice, text chat or email at https://templeguardians.burningman.org/connect-with-a-temple-guardian/
Pre-event, please reach out to Temple Guardians here: https://templeguardians.burningman.org/
VEST (Virtual Event Support Team) are: VEST Rangers and Harm Reduction Volunteers, vPlaya Info Volunteers and Temple Guardians.
Please understand that: We are volunteers and always participants first, just like you! We are not staff or employees of Burning Man Project, nor part of any of the Worlds.
Welcome to Virtual Burn 2021
We are not a crisis line and we do not offer any professional services or emergency services. If you are experiencing a medical or psychological emergency, please contact your local emergency services and support network immediately.